The mission of the Eastern Schools for the Deaf Athletic Association (ESDAA) is to provide all member schools and respective athletes with challenging tournament and championship meet-competition. These competitions will center on good sportsmanship, ethical behavior, and integrity as advocated by the National Federation of State High Schools Athletics Association. .
As advocates for the deaf, the ESDAA will provide:
· leadership, stability, structure, and uniform standards for boys and girls participating in games and tournaments.
· opportunities to participate in tournaments with guidelines for safe, equitable, and fair competition that includes all eligible students to the maximum extent possible.
· communication and administrative support by keeping appropriate administrators informed and involved.
· opportunities to assume leadership roles, gain recognition and identity, set goals and problem solve, make decisions, experience self-governance, participate in appropriate avenues of expression, and enhance abilities to function successfully in society.
· opportunities to enhance peer relationships, develop new lasting friendships, and learn how other deaf students live in different parts of the country.
· significant lifetime learning experiences that are not duplicated in other areas of the educational program:
Association tournaments serve as an integral part of member schools' secondary education program. Tournaments will operate in harmony with the entire curriculum, providing motivational opportunities and unique learning experiences. Additionally they will help student athletes recognize the choice of sound moral and social values.